Homeworld 2 Complex Forum Index
 Portal •  Blog •  Album •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Calendar   •  Register  •  User Panel  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
  FlashChat  •  Statistics  •  Links  •   Downloads  •   Comments to your karma  •  Toplist  •  Guestbook  •  Recent topics  •  Voting forum
The Complex 9 Campaign idea thread
Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

View previous topicEmail to a Friend.Users who have viewed this topicSave this topic as a txt filePrintable versionLog in to check your private messagesView next topic

Would you like to see a campaign in form of what is described in the post in future Complex releases?
Yes, a campaign like one described in the post would be neat
76%
 76%  [ 272 ]
Yes, but I would change… [post your ideas]
12%
 12%  [ 44 ]
No, but I still like the idea, maybe make it a multiplayer game mode?
5%
 5%  [ 18 ]
No! There is no need for a campaign and I hate all ideas stated in this post [You'll make me sad choosing this ^.^]
2%
 2%  [ 8 ]
I like cookies…what? I don't really care, just gimme cookies =3
3%
 3%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 356

SpaceKookie

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Interests: PC Games, Music, Books
Occupation: MSE Student, Network Administrator, Gaming @ Team Dignitas

germany
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Note The Complex 9 Campaign idea thread
Description: Post any ideas you have in here, as well as get the latest news about the project

@Mod: Please make this a sticky? —Done —ALC

For all who are new to the idea and don't want to read the entire thread to be able to make up their minds, here a quick overview on what the campaign is supposed to be and what story elements will probably be included if the team ever decides that it would love to have a campaign. So here I will give you a brief overview:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The campaign will feature a thrilling storyline where the entire focus of the action is set onto one ship, your Battleship that is sent out into deep space to investigate a random signal the Hiigaran HQ received after the battle against the Vagr.
While the storyline is not yet completely clear (Johnsonfreeful and I are working on it Smile ) the gameplay is:
As you are sucked into a wormhole that brings you into an unknown part of the galaxy, you are now on your own. No longer can the HQ message you for orders or send you backup RU's or ships. The only chance of survival is to harvest ressources, build ships and forge a strategy, that uses all the powers of the Hiigaran Battleship and your fighters to defeat the enemies that keep coming to kill you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An FAQ about the story and the campaign will follow as soon as the story is set and we have a green light from the team for this project.

Thank you for sharing any ideas you have in this thread and for voting in my poll Smile

P.S. I have sent this suggestion and thread to Beghins already, still awaiting his reply *waving at him* Hi Razz
maybe this will actually have success =3

I'm terrible at dates...but I could eat a peach for hours

Last edited by SpaceKookie on Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:52 pm; edited 5 times in total
Olantigh

Commander
Commander

uk
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject:  
Description:

the mod:homeworld mothership warfare, has a booklet on the history after hw2 and takes the game beyond, the maps are continuences of a formal game- however the game doesn't proceed from one level to another, the booklet fills in the gaps and is actually quite a good read- its all on the download- whomever wrote it did a very good job, the graphics are excellent, but did come out abit brownish rather than red as if on the screen when printed out. i think it was some 80 pages or so with pictures and i enjoyed reading as well as playing it- some interesting ideas to go on....
the tech trees are quite different and spread in alsorts of unexspected directions depending on what you want and when- ships pretty much the same as complex but with different roles and the maps reflect which level or part of the story your on- the manual booklet explains what to do and how to survive to the next level/map.
have a look and see what you think? i last saw it available on filefront or rapidshare? something like that-
ALC

Content Admin
Content Admin

Complex Team

Post Vote: User is appraised 5.00 out of 5

ireland
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject:  
Description:

Yes, i'd like to see a single player game. My notion would be more of a conquer the systems one by one campaign.

@Olantigh — yes, I remember that mothership warfare mod. Still have it somewhere. now I have to go and look for it!

SpaceKookie

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

germany
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject:  
Description:

You mean this?
Only registered users can see links on this board!
Get registred or enter the forums!

I'll go check it out. my point however was to maybe create a storyline ourselves (Im actually quite good with the stories^^) and make a campaign that is more focused on ONE ship rather than on masses like in the original HW2 campaign.

I'm not saying that this should be done over night but maybe collecting ideas and thinking about what could be done'd be nice.
Did you vote for "Yes, but I would change… [post your ideas]"? If so, what would you like to see different? Or would you just play this other mod instead of building a campaign at all? Razz

Walkop2011

Quality Control
Quality Control

Complex Patron

Post Vote: User is appraised 3.00 out of 5

canada
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject:  
Description:

I like your line of thinking Wink
But there's gotta be a twist somewhere - i.e. - After the mysterious dissapearance of the Vaygr Flagship, you track it down to said nebula. During that time, however, anomalous signals were detected - during your quest, the Vaygr somehow gained access to the Eye of Arran (possibly finding the original Pride of Hiigara and retrieving a log of the cores IDC's), and they found a few suprises on the other side - namely, Dreadnoughts. Quite a few. You eventually enter the Eye of Arran in pursuit, and when you get there you find a small fleet of Progenitor Dreadnaughts waiting for you on the other side...

Either that, or you are controlling a BB assigned the duty of being the first to Explore the Eye, and on your 4th or so mission you come across some dangerous foes (i.e. - the Dreadnaughts).
And so on Very Happy

SpaceKookie

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

germany
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject:  
Description:

Walkop2011 wrote:
I like your line of thinking Wink
But there's gotta be a twist somewhere - i.e. - After the mysterious dissapearance of the Vaygr Flagship, you track it down to said nebula. During that time, however, anomalous signals were detected - during your quest, the Vaygr somehow gained access to the Eye of Arran (possibly finding the original Pride of Hiigara and retrieving a log of the cores IDC's), and they found a few suprises on the other side - namely, Dreadnoughts. Quite a few. You eventually enter the Eye of Arran in pursuit, and when you get there you find a small fleet of Progenitor Dreadnaughts waiting for you on the other side...

Either that, or you are controlling a BB assigned the duty of being the first to Explore the Eye, and on your 4th or so mission you come across some dangerous foes (i.e. - the Dreadnaughts).
And so on Very Happy

I love that Smile
I haven't played Homeworld 1 or so. That's why I didn't know about that Eye of Arran you're talking about. What is it exactly? Like a big shipyard or something?^^
And yea if you wanted the BS to take on Dreads, it'd have to be majorly overpowered XD

Olantigh

Commander
Commander

uk
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject:  
Description:

I think that the single player option wouldbe a good idea- how it would be made is another problem. but i think the story should be something different, something very new and takes you on a direction away from the old stories, no more rediscoveries or map disputes, perhaps an expedition to unknown space- perhpas where the relic was found and came from in cataclysm- that bit of the galaxy as yet unknown and unmapped just "beyond the vaygr reaches"
complex as far as i know has never treated the game as a follow on story to hw2 only an improvement to the game play- so a good story too would be a bonus.
mother ship mod- uses the idea of several maps as seperate levels to allow somekind of a story to develope- but doesn't have the option of a single player game as such- though clever in the way the person/team made the mod well, i think it should be used as a template for this story and how this game progresses.
some of the ideas should copied and advanced- the iddea of a seperate booklet filling in the gaps was like having a whole new game again, and done much better than the manual in hw2- which was a bit thin on extras and just funny stuff the fans love.
see if anyone can get hold of "norsehounds" map of the galaxy- should be around somewhere- if not i have a copy on my old computer at home- he did a very detailed and upto date map of the hw2 galaxy- should be taken as a basis for a clear distinct outline of where everything is and should be- i know most of it is guess work but the graphics are excellent...
the story should be checked and rechecked for mistakes- and fully researched and written by someone who can spell- unlike me -joke!

the eye of arran is situated between tenhauser gate and parthia/southern hiigaran kingdoms or the direct south westly direction of the galactic core away from hiigara itself more or less in a straight line through the eye of sajuuk- i think its the main hub for the hypersapce gate network from the progenitor old network of technology left behind when they disappeared- (story there perhaps?)

i could go on and on- with all the rubbish i know....joke.
with me trying to get a copy of norsehounds map on here- all i got was this?
"Could not login to FTP Server. The Username '1193529@aruba.it' or the Password is wrong. Please check your FTP-Settings."
i wonder what all thats about?
Walkop2011

Quality Control
Quality Control

Complex Patron

Post Vote: User is appraised 3.00 out of 5

canada
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject:  
Description:

Yeah, HW2 Ended on the note that Sajuuk could access the Eye of Arran - a supposed hub to a massive Progenitor Gate Network.

It makes sense that no Progenitor ship would attack Sajuuk - but maybe IDC's were given to other hiigaran ships (namely, your BB) and once you get to a certain Progenitor graveyard, your IDC starts to malfunction. Begin main story Wink

Maybe you even find Earth in the end - defended by a massive progenitor defense station. Wink

ALC

Content Admin
Content Admin

Complex Team

Post Vote: User is appraised 5.00 out of 5

ireland
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject:  
Description:

Walkop2011 wrote:
Maybe you even find Earth in the end - defended by a massive progenitor defense station. Wink
A bit like BSG then Very Happy

@Olantigh
I think the ftp server isn't in operation.

SpaceKookie

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

germany
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject:  
Description:

Olantigh wrote:
I think that the single player option wouldbe a good idea- how it would be made is another problem. but i think the story should be something different, something very new and takes you on a direction away from the old stories, no more rediscoveries or map disputes, perhaps an expedition to unknown space- perhpas where the relic was found and came from in cataclysm- that bit of the galaxy as yet unknown and unmapped just "beyond the vaygr reaches"
complex as far as i know has never treated the game as a follow on story to hw2 only an improvement to the game play- so a good story too would be a bonus.
mother ship mod- uses the idea of several maps as seperate levels to allow somekind of a story to develope- but doesn't have the option of a single player game as such- though clever in the way the person/team made the mod well, i think it should be used as a template for this story and how this game progresses.
some of the ideas should copied and advanced- the iddea of a seperate booklet filling in the gaps was like having a whole new game again, and done much better than the manual in hw2- which was a bit thin on extras and just funny stuff the fans love.
see if anyone can get hold of "norsehounds" map of the galaxy- should be around somewhere- if not i have a copy on my old computer at home- he did a very detailed and upto date map of the hw2 galaxy- should be taken as a basis for a clear distinct outline of where everything is and should be- i know most of it is guess work but the graphics are excellent...
the story should be checked and rechecked for mistakes- and fully researched and written by someone who can spell- unlike me -joke!

the eye of arran is situated between tenhauser gate and parthia/southern hiigaran kingdoms or the direct south westly direction of the galactic core away from hiigara itself more or less in a straight line through the eye of sajuuk- i think its the main hub for the hypersapce gate network from the progenitor old network of technology left behind when they disappeared- (story there perhaps?)

i could go on and on- with all the rubbish i know....joke.
with me trying to get a copy of norsehounds map on here- all i got was this?
"Could not login to FTP Server. The Username '1193529@aruba.it' or the Password is wrong. Please check your FTP-Settings."
i wonder what all thats about?

sure, that's then of cause another thing.

btw… *give cookie* to whoever chose the last option XD

johnsonfreeful

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

switzerland
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject:  
Description:

How about something like this:

You start as a young fleet admiral under the command of the higaran HQ in the orbit of the homeplanet of the higs. Your'e first mission objective: find survivors of the great war with the vaygr and search several sectors for enemy forces, by using the new hyperspace-tech, given you by the progenitors.
As story progresses, HQ gives you Possibilities for new abilities, technologie and ships. As some kind of prologe, you could design a colony-ship of survieved vaygr, massively defended by vaygr attack forces. They surrender after a big finish let you the choise: follow the instructions of the HQ, destroy every bit of the vaygr forces or follow your enemy's offer to let them go, as a gift for your mercy, they will give full advantage of there technology.

If you like it, let me know, I love writing storiesand it would be an honor for me if I could make up a story for a possible campain plus it would be quite an opportunity for me to improve my english.
SpaceKookie

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

germany
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject:  
Description:

johnsonfreeful wrote:
How about something like this:

You start as a young fleet admiral under the command of the higaran HQ in the orbit of the homeplanet of the higs. Your'e first mission objective: find survivors of the great war with the vaygr and search several sectors for enemy forces, by using the new hyperspace-tech, given you by the progenitors.
As story progresses, HQ gives you Possibilities for new abilities, technologie and ships. As some kind of prologe, you could design a colony-ship of survieved vaygr, massively defended by vaygr attack forces. They surrender after a big finish let you the choise: follow the instructions of the HQ, destroy every bit of the vaygr forces or follow your enemy's offer to let them go, as a gift for your mercy, they will give full advantage of there technology.

If you like it, let me know, I love writing storiesand it would be an honor for me if I could make up a story for a possible campain plus it would be quite an opportunity for me to improve my english.

1. The point of my campaign story suggestion was to center all the attention on ONE ship. In the campaigns of games you always play with your units like with dolls. It doesn't really matter if you loose ships because you can all rebuild them. Putting all the attention on one ship that you command, e.g. even as a young Captain if you like, you make the story more personal. You wouldn't wanna die yourself. You shouldn't want to waste any lives. And every hit you take and every crew member that might die in an explosion is more personal as you only have one ship and you command it yourself. That was the whole point of me thinking about a storyline in the firstplace. Of cause the story then can still be disgussed.

2. Giving people a choice what to do is great. I love it in games like Mass Effect or Dragon Age. The question is if the HW2 engine allows choices like that, if the UI will play along and even if upgrades and ship XP can be exported into another mission. I think we should first focus on maybe coming up with a storyline, then letting everybody debate on how we're gonna implement it and then we can disguss the details that might work. But I'd rather hear it from a team member first before building everything on something that has not yet been confirmed

Something I've been thinking about myself but was afraid to post so far as it might be alot of work is, that while chasing the last remains of Vagr resistence your Hyperdrive somehow malfunctions and you gt sucked in by a black hole. While the ship remained intact due to the massive hull and kinetic barriers (aka shields) you have no idea where you are. On the mission to find a few minable asteroids to get fuel (Just for the storyline, not for gameplay Razz) you encounter another race that has never been seen before. bla bla bla bla like that we have like endless possibilities what to do, where to go next...
But it'd be alot of work to create all the new ship models and balancing it though :/

doug3216

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Interests: Lego, Computers, Moves, TV.

australia
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject:  
Description:

How bout you find the taiidani or other race that allready has ships made.
johnsonfreeful

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

switzerland
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject:  
Description:

@ Doug3216

Yeah, that would be awsome, but beghins decided already, that the keepers (progenitors) will be the new race for complex 9. So I think it's just logical to insert the keepers as possible new enemy...

Winston Churchill
SpaceKookie

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

germany
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject:  
Description:

johnsonfreeful wrote:
@ Doug3216

Yeah, that would be awsome, but beghins decided already, that the keepers (progenitors) will be the new race for complex 9. So I think it's just logical to insert the keepers as possible new enemy...

uhuhuh! That'd be a cool transition for Complex 9…
Your ship gets shot into deep space somewhere, you encounter the keeper "homeworld" and stuff like that. And when you collect the ressources and parts needed to build a subspace gate to get back home a keeper carrier follows you and BOOOOOM, we're in Complex 9 featuring the conclict with the keepers =3

Complex 8 - Prologue to destruction

Complex 9 - Invasion of the keepers

it sounds very professional.
And Johnsonfreefull, if you like we could come up with story and mission details together. I'm a pretty creative mind of my own and could surely help you out with your english as well =P

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeworld 2 Complex Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 1 of 32

Jump to: