Homeworld 2 Complex Forum Index
 Portal •  Blog •  Album •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Calendar   •  Register  •  User Panel  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
  FlashChat  •  Statistics  •  Links  •   Downloads  •   Comments to your karma  •  Toplist  •  Guestbook  •  Recent topics  •  Voting forum
Hiigaran Officer Count
Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topicEmail to a Friend.Users who have viewed this topicSave this topic as a txt filePrintable versionLog in to check your private messagesView next topic

Should Officer counts for the Hiigarans be restored to eariler levels?
Yes - definately! THe new levels are not good for gameplay.
89%
 89%  [ 57 ]
No - the new levels are good.
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
What's this about again? Ah, doesn't matter. Go Vaygr!
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 64

Walkop2011

Quality Control
Quality Control

Complex Patron

Post Vote: User is appraised 3.00 out of 5

canada
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject:  Hiigaran Officer Count
Description: Lately, there's been some changes to officers - For better, or for worse?

I as just playing a Beta 7 game - to find officer counts have been decreased considerably for new barracks. This is completely unnecessary - now, people have been calling out for help for the Vaygr, but is the answer to both boost up them with many new ships yet nerf the Hiigs at the same time? It's crippling to them.

You can barely field a carrier until Honor level 4 (not sure which name) - and that seems pathetic, in my opinion. The Vaygr can field multiple DD's and even BC's in some instances by that time.

The Officer Counts for the Hiigarans need to be restored to earlier levels, and the officer taken by the power station needs to be removed as well. Crew taken by the required stations is even a bit high - with adequate resourcing capabilites and all necessary stations, you can ony field a few squadrons of fighters.

Th Hiigarans have been crippled - and there's not much that a player can do in that instace.

What do you think? As always - opinions, critisms, additions and new ideas welcome Wink

ALC

Content Admin
Content Admin

Complex Team

Post Vote: User is appraised 5.00 out of 5

ireland
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject:  Re: Hiigaran Officer Count
Description: Lately, there's been some changes to officers - For better, or for worse?

Walkop2011 wrote:
and there's not much that a player can do in that instace.
The player can edit the file controlling the amount of officers and crew to restore the 'normal' levels, which are too low anyway.
Walkop2011

Quality Control
Quality Control

Complex Patron

canada
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject:  
Description:

Well, that's certainly true; but I doubt the average player could even find those specific files, nevermind edit them - not without directed help, that is Wink

I agree as well that to original officer counts are a bit too low - it might be better if they were raised a bit from the originals (15-25%?)

SpaceKookie

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Interests: PC Games, Music, Books
Occupation: MSE Student, Network Administrator, Gaming @ Team Dignitas

germany
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject:  
Description:

I'd like to see the officers completely removed from the game...
They don#t add any realy value to the game and basicly are just a pain in the *** Razz

I'm terrible at dates...but I could eat a peach for hours
Walkop2011

Quality Control
Quality Control

Complex Patron

canada
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject:  
Description:

I think they add a lot of value.

Officers are tactical and make you think about your capships (even if crew was increased, per the new crew system idea).Its better overall to have officers for capships instead of crew being the limiting factor - its just more versatile, no matter how you do it - at least in my opinion.

Nakamura

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Interests: Science, friends, music, gaming

hungary
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject:  
Description:

What I'd do as hig to counter early strikes is booming, like i said in the recent bug topic.
Use 25 collectors +2 refineries, and buy every weapon system on the MS possible. The sweapers and torp launchers will likely remove threats until you'd reach the rank required for the officer barrack, and anyway you are free to buy a destroyer as 1 officer is free to use (instead of scavanger though Confused ) After this your job is easy. Do a juggernaut massing. Only 1 officer /ship, very effective. You'll have an overflow of resources too, i doubt you can spend everything if you time ship training/system building/research correctly.

Last edited by Nakamura on Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
ALC

Content Admin
Content Admin

Complex Team

ireland
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject:  
Description:

@SpaceKookie
Officers do add value. If the Officers were to be removed, then might as well remove the whole concept of crew altogether.

In general we need more Officers and Crew (+50% of both) in view of the increased numbers of static structures which use up personnel.

Beghins

Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Complex Team

italy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject:  
Description:

If I increase the officer/pilot max cap you can build a lot of ship and the AI too, result is lag and lag, the game will became unplayable in few minutes, lag is due to the number of ships present in the map, so I've to balance those things.
I base the test on my machine that is 3.5ghz cpu and video card with 1.5 gbyte VRAM

Only registered users can see links on this board!
Get registred or enter the forums!

Walkop2011

Quality Control
Quality Control

Complex Patron

canada
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject:  
Description:

Quote:

If I increase the officer/pilot max cap you can build a lot of ship and the AI too, result is lag and lag, the game will became unplayable in few minutes, lag is due to the number of ships present in the map, so I've to balance those things.
I base the test on my machine that is 3.5ghz cpu and video card with 1.5 gbyte VRAM

EDIT: @Beghins: Oh - I didn't realize you were speaking to SpaceKookie. Wink This whole post was written with the thought in mind that you were speaking about the thread's topic (literally speaking, not sarcastically) Wink. Unless, of course, you were adressing the point I made originally and you weren't talknig to SpaceKookie. In that case - read on Smile

Is there any way you can make it a game option when starting a match? Even if you cannot, I think the lag is more than worth the decreased annoyance.

Besides - lag is a part of Complex Wink you're going to get it one way or another. Limiting everyone game experience imho isn't solving the problem in the end. Its simply slowing it down - but its also slowing down the game for everyone. Its restrictive. 7.44 was fine in this regard - it played fine, officer counts were fair, and the game was challanging.

Now its a matter of waiting an hour to even be able build 2 DD's. Its very restrictive for the Hiigarans.

It's kind of like saying that: "we have to many traffic jams each month on public roads. I'm tired of it. You're sick of it. The only thing we can fairly do is to limit the amount of drivers on the road at any given time to about half of what there are now. That'll fix it!". Crude example, Wink but same principle.

Last edited by Walkop2011 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nakamura

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Interests: Science, friends, music, gaming

hungary
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject:  
Description:

Beghins, I don't believe that SpaceKookie meant the increase of the crew limit literally. If i got it right, he wants to increase the numbers themselves, not the proportions. So generally speaking you could use a DD with say 200 crew and 5 officers, but the number of transported crew on the crew pod would be higher as well. Changing the rate of recruitment proportionally would solve the issue of how much a DD is really worth. This could eventually make fighters way more useful, even in late game.

ALC

Content Admin
Content Admin

Complex Team

ireland
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject:  
Description:

@Beghins — I generally play with an adjusted limit to officers and crew (2-3times the normal limit), without lag issues on a lower spec machine than yours (though clock speeds may not be directly comparable).
Walkop2011

Quality Control
Quality Control

Complex Patron

canada
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject:  
Description:

Quote:

@Beghins — I generally play with an adjusted limit to officers and crew (2-3times the normal limit), without lag issues on a lower spec machine than yours (though clock speeds may not be directly comparable).

Agreed there - I used to have a 2.6GHz dual core with a 512mb vid card and it played Complex fairly well. Ships are related to the problem, but aren't the whole problem. Not worth the decrease imho.

The power station officers need to be completely cut out as well, its eats up too many resources otherwise. I refused to build it until commander rank because it ate up too many officers, and then right around that time the Vay's with their new ships came to wipe me out with my now low power reserves. Almost ironic.

danthewolf007

Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject:  officer/crew count
Description:

why not make a button/program to turn off the limit when only playing the AI ?
Beghins

Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Complex Team

italy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject:  
Description:

Quote:

Is there any way you can make it a game option when starting a match? Even if you cannot, I think the lag is more than worth the decreased annoyance.

You just have this option, I think if you set the max cap to "maximum" there's no pc able to avoid the lag, this is the philosophy I used to set the max limit.
A good solution would be to set the maximum setting more higher then others, I mean a progression like this: 3-4-5-7 or 3-4-6-9 where any number is the amount of officer added per any barrack built, but I'm sure anyone will set it to maximum and then will came here to tell he's having lag.
At the moment the progression is 4-5-6-7 (in the 0.8 I've just setted it at 3-4-5-6).
Let me know what do you think.

myskowski

Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject:  
Description:

Hy Beghins,

I like to find my opponent, rush with fregats to limit his ressources and prepare by harvesting the built of BC and more to finish.

Then it is really funny to be to limit by the staff at the beginning. Attack or defend ? harvest or build ? Rush or developpement ?

For my opinion : As at the beginning the game of the "strategy of harvesting and build order" is important, as the "strategy of battle" overrides in the middle of the game.

Then i agree with Walkop2011 about number of officers. I think that it could be interesting to have a clear step : , perhaps the balance could be : 3,4 /7,8 or 9.

For the Power Station : don't change anything. It 's really interesting for HG strategy.

Increase its power could be a real advantage but you have to take about defend and hide it. Find and Destroy a power Station in "full power" near ships is a real deal in the game. For example, I used my own power station to finish the last fleet of my opponent at the end of the game and win !

Lags ? : even i play with 4 Expert Ais i don't really see lags. It's surely depend of memory settings from CPU,Video Card and of course Windows version.

Thank you for your job. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeworld 2 Complex Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: